Thursday, December 18, 2014

I'm Bored?

I want to just point out to you that it has been over a week now (9-10 days, lets be serious) since the sun has been out. It hasn't even tried - not a little bit! The gloom is getting to me and I fear a bad case of cabin fever and winter has not officially started yet. I am in dire need of some sun and Vitamin D. It is saying (well, the meteorologists are saying, but what the hell do they know!) full sun on Saturday and if that is so the case, I am getting up with the sun, taking the hubby and dogs and going on a big hike until it sets again. I want to absorb every ray of light that shines down - for my body, mind, and spirit! Please sun, please come out and play!



 I made it out yesterday for a run like I said I would in "Quick Note." I was doing pretty good, too. I told myself I wasn't going to give myself any goals, just in case I couldn't reach any of them. My only focus was just getting out there. I ran about 1.5 miles when I got that bad pain in my left leg again. I am thinking (and Doctor Google confirms) it has a lot to do with my peroneal muscles (that is the exact place of the pain). I stopped, had some water, stretched my legs as best as I could without leaning (creepily) against someone's mailbox for balance and avoid sitting down in the slush. Needless to say, I didn't get very far with the stretching. I attempted to run again, but no luck. I turned around and headed for home - walking yet again.

It was a good walk though. I tried not to be pissed off at myself for setting myself up so high a couple weeks ago and now only able to run the distance I first started this running thing with. I knew it wasn't an endurance problem because despite feeling cramped up and sore in my legs, my heart has never been in better shape. I am running almost below my target heart rate and definitely below my maximum heart rate. I managed to get back to a 14:37 min/mile and I did not even try very hard to do so. So I know I can capable of going faster and certainly capable of a better workout. I can only imagine that my lack of "OOMPH!" is a psychological one.

That's right, my mind is in a funk!

I was talking to my sister last night and was explaining to her my lack of enthusiasm during my running. She quickly pointed out I was BORED! I was like, "No way! I have been only doing the same route for…oh, I guess seven weeks now!" Well, I think this explains a lot! She told me to turn right out of my driveway instead of left (like I ALWAYS do) and better yet, find a good trail to run somewhere. Sounds like some good advice and I think I am going to take it.

Another thing I have noticed and I am sure any runner out there is going to laugh when they read this is I have been seriously lacking in my stretching. Maybe lacking is not the right statement here. Lack thereof. Yes, that’s better. No wonder why the tendons and muscles in  my legs feel like a lid on a jar - TIGHT! That would explain a whole lot, too! I have a yoga DVD I am going to start doing on my "rest days" and certainly going to make sure I have a proper stretching session after EACH  and EVERY one of my running workouts. As always, working to make sure I stay HYDRATED through this cold, dry (wet?) weather.

So, I have a lot to work on, not just with running, but the food I eat, stretching, and hydrating. A change of scenery I think is going to do me lots of good, too. Oh, and the sun needs to come out at least once a week - I don't think that is too much to ask!

To fellow runners: How often are you changing up routines? Are your part of a runners group to help get the push you need to go farther and faster? What ways do you try to do that for yourself?

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment