Friday, December 12, 2014

Where Are You, Sun?

Another dreary (in terms of weather) day today. I swear, I don’t remember the last time the sun was out. Don't get me wrong, I love the gloom, it is one of the better personality qualities that I have (that was sarcastic, maybe). I went for my run after spending the rest of the day doing other things and, like yesterday, trying to find some excuse to not get out there. I finally texted hubby and he said, "Just get out there! It is such a nice day for it!" I wondered if he was looking out the window in the same state that I was…nice day? His optimism on life is uncanny!



 It was an okay run. I am not excited about it like I was just the other day after my four miles. My times have been crap, yet I feel completely exhausted after. Even yesterday and I was just under two miles. On my run, I thought about why the past two runs have been blah and I think it is because the sun has not shined in forever and I am forced to lift my legs higher to not trip in the snow. Like a run/march. I am also running off the road and where the snow plow has dug up the ground on each side of the road. I am not used to "trail running" and I know that there is a HUGE difference between running on pavement and running on grass. Now, I am forced to run on grass AND the snow. Oh well. I am gaining muscle (my legs have never looked so good) and stretching my endurance. I better get used to it because I am going to need to step up the pace in a couple weeks to train for my half marathon.

In animal news, since this is a blog with two topic of discussions:

I have been a veterinary technician for a long time and pretty sure I have seen it all. Pretty sure. But, there is something about my own fur children that leaves me second guessing and biting my nails every time they look at me funny. I admit, I am a serious hypochondriac for my pets. Not eating? Must be cancer. Breathing heavy while in a deep sleep? Gotta be heart disease. Dig through the woodpile and chew up a log into a million pieces all over the living room? Well, if the wood sliver doesn't perforate their intestines and cause sepsis and imminent death, I will kill them myself (again, sarcastic). I can't help it. I have just seen too much in my career.

Now, even mothers of human children can agree, that there is that one child that just cannot seem to stay out of trouble. Well, in this household, that would be out bottle fed fur child, Poo Poo.

 Baby picture at 10 days old.

Baby picture, too!

 Her "teen" years with brother Walter.

She is winking!

We have been through the ringer with this kitty. Not only is she sassy, alpha of the house, and only does things on Poo Poo's terms, she is our problem child health wise. She isn't even two yet. She has been sick with crazy diseases, pretty bad intestinal problems, and has even forced me to put her through surgery for eating two hair elastics and 19 inches of shoelaces. She is a lot of fun. The hair elastics? Yeah, my fault as a (ir)responsible pet owner and as I tend to leave them all over. The shoe laces? Where there is a will, there is a way and she ALWAYS finds a way to snack on the shoelaces, no matter how much we lock the shoes up. Mostly Eric's, too. Actually, pretty much always Eric's shoes. Those thick, heavy boot type ones are her favorite. They are the same shape and size (in diameter) as my hair elastics. She swallows these things whole too, people! That isn't a good thing when we talk about removing foreign bodies. Thank goodness we have been lucky with that.

So it would come as no surprise that I have cleaned the litter boxes and found a poop nugget around an intact hair elastic and just the other day, a small pile of throw up with, you guessed it, a hair elastic. I try really hard, too. However, when you have a problem child like that, trying is of course not good enough. Needless to say, she has just been acting a little funny, not eating as great as she should (who would when you are full on hair elastics), and has lost about one pound. Still perky, plays a lot, and no vomiting or diarrhea. We go to the vets tomorrow for blood work, a picture of her insides, and a physical exam. I am SO hoping that it is just indigestion. As for me, I will try harder.

Update on Poo Poo tomorrow.

Do you have a problem (fur) child?


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment